Senior Corporate Legal Clerk/Assistant
Home » Careers » Senior Corporate Legal Clerk/Assistant
Performs full legal clerk/assistant work of a responsible and confidential nature for
one or more lawyers. We are seeking a confident, organized, self-starter to fill the position of
Corporate Law Clerk. May docket time as a law clerk.
Primary Activities and Representative Tasks:
- Performing a variety of legal and administrative duties in the area of corporate law.
- Prepares various incorporation, re-organization and other corporate documents and agreements with little or no direction, according to general precedents. The responsibilities include, but are not limited to, drafting documents to implement incorporations, organizations, amalgamations, reorganizations, changes in corporate charter, annual proceedings, dividends, continuances, dissolutions, revivals, extra-provincial registrations, licenses, limited partnerships, business names and financing.
- Drafting complex share structure and documents pertaining to corporate reorganizations, financings, share and asset purchase transactions and tax reorganizations.
- Conducting corporate and securities searches and analysing filings, liaise with clients, lawyers, students and public officials.
- Maintaining and reviewing corporate records, securities ledgers and registers, and taking appropriate rectification steps.
- Other maintenance tasks and filings.
- Routes or answers routine correspondence not requiring the Lawyer's attention and initiates follow-up action as required.
- Prepares special reports including gathering and summarizing data.
- Prepares reporting briefs for completed transactions.
- Responsible for own corporate filing and filings in minute books.
- Exercises initiative and judgement to relieve Lawyer of administrative detail.
- The position requires a seasoned corporate clerk/assistant with a minimum of 5 years related experience.
- Professional demeanour and strong organizational, investigative, fact finding, and problem solving skills.
- Attention to detail is critical.
- A team player with excellent communication and inter-personal skills for liaising with clients, lawyers and staff. Excellent communication and client skills including a high level of competence in grammar, spelling and punctuation.
- Ability to work independently, to prioritize assignments and to solve issues with minimal supervision.
- Takes initiative and is pro-active.
- Available to work extended hours when necessary.
- Experience with Do Process – FastCo. and Microsoft suite is required. Experience with OnCorp and Lighthouse would be an asset.
- Reports to one or more Lawyers
- Usually sets own priorities and works independently with minimal supervision.
If you are interested in this role in our firm, please forward your resume in confidence to:
O'Connor MacLeod Hanna LLP
Barristers & Solicitors
700 Kerr Street
Oakville, ON, L6K 3W5
Fax: (905) 842-0238